In this episode, we talk with James Taylor, Jr., P.E., a licensed professional engineer and an Associate Vice President at Verdantas, about five essential keys for engineers transitioning from a technical role to the dynamic world of project management.
***The video version of this episode can be viewed here.***
Here Are Some of the Questions We Ask James:
- What specific accomplishments led you to be named Young Civil Engineer of the Year in 2021?
- What are your insights into transitioning from a technical role into project management and leadership, including challenges and how to overcome them?
- How does clearly defining project objectives benefit young engineers, and what strategies can they use to do so effectively?
- Why is it important to clearly define both the scope and objectives of a project?
- What are the specific areas of project management where communication is most important?
- How can project managers ensure effective communication with all stakeholders, given that each stakeholder may have different communication preferences?
- How can young engineers effectively create project plans and schedules to ensure smoother project execution?
- How do you manage risk in your projects?
- How can engineers stay up to date on project management skills and continuously learn and improve?
- How can engineers start developing project management skills now, given the wide availability of resources?