In this episode, I talk to Karen Islas, P.E., a professional civil engineer and STEM advocate, about how her involvement with professional organizations, STEM, and mentorship, has helped to rapidly grow her engineering career.
Here Are Some of the Questions I Ask Karen:
- How has being involved with multiple professional organizations helped grow rapidly in your engineering career?
- You recently graduated from the San Diego Leadership Alliance (SDLA) Institute “2022 Cohort.” What did that entail and what did you learn from it?
- What are some of the things you have learned from your mentor experience?
- How have your mentors helped you in your engineering career?
- What are some of the challenges you faced being a woman in the civil engineering industry?
- Why do you believe there is a lack of representation of STEM in the civil engineering industry, and how can civil engineers become more involved in STEM?
- What advice can you give young women in civil engineering looking to become a leader in their field?