In this episode, we talk to Jared M. Green, PE, D. GE, NOMA, who is the host of one of EMI’s other podcasts, The Geotechnical Engineering Podcast. Jared is also a Vice-President at Langan Engineering, and in this episode, he is going to tell us what he thinks a structural engineer needs to know about a geotechnical engineer.
Here Are Some of the Questions We Ask Jared:
- What do geotechnical engineers do, and in your opinion how does that differ from what structural engineers do?
- If a civil engineer asks you what field you think he or she should specialize in, choosing between a geotechnical and structural engineer, what advice might you offer about each?
- How feasible do you think is it to get a B.S. in one field and then a Masters in the other?
- How important is it to get a geotechnical master’s degree?
- Share with us one secret/tip that you think structural engineers may not know about geotechnical engineering?
- How can structural engineers become more involved, or work more closely with geotechnical engineers?
- In your opinion, what can we expect of geotechnical engineering in the future?