In this episode, we talk to Erin Sibley, Ph.D., P.E., a Geotechnical and Tunnel Engineer from Mott MacDonald about the importance of cultivating curiosity and engineering judgment as a geo-professional. She also touches on earthquake and tunnel engineering and how it ties into non-technical elements such as the people-centric focus of engineering, building professional relationships, and life-long learning.
In episode 101 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, which is the third episode in a 3-part special series focused on preparing us for the Global Engineering Congress 2018, I am bringing you with me to the offices of Mott MacDonald to sit down with Global Sustainability Leader Davide Stronati. Get ready for a great conversation around the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and how civil engineers can tactically support the achievement of these goals.
Here are some of the questions I ask Davide:
- What role does a corporate, or strategic, sustainability managing director play and what responsibilities do they hold?
- What is the primary outcome, with regards to GEC18, that you wish to see?
- From a civil engineering perspective, what does sustainability mean to you?
- What does your role as the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) Sustainability Leadership Team Chair entail?
- What is your call to action regarding the SDGs for civil engineers listening to this podcast?
Here are some key points discussed on the UN SDGs and the ICE Global Engineering Congress:
In episode 89 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk with Nicholas (Nick) DeNichilo P.E., President and CEO of Mott MacDonald North America. Our conversation focused mostly on why civil engineering CEOs need to focus on people and the effect that doing so can have on you in your career and life.
Here are some of the questions I ask Nick about his journey and his work as CEO:
- How did you decide that you wanted to go into engineering?
- What are some of the things that civil engineers can do in preparation to become a CEO of a civil engineering firm?
- How big is the Mott Macdonald “family”?
- What is the hardest part of being a CEO?
- How do you decide what work you should focus on each day?
- As a CEO of a company, how do you maintain a work-life balance?