In this episode of The Structural Engineering Podcast, we talk to David L. Pierson, PE, SE, SECB, Sr. Principal at ARW Engineers, about resilience, building codes, and free markets in structural engineering.
In this episode of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk to Ron Burg, P.E., the Executive Vice President of the American Concrete Institute, also known as ACI. Ron discusses some interesting trends in the world of concrete, but also provides some important strategies for career development for civil engineering professionals based on his long and successful career journey.
Here Are Some of the Questions I Ask Ron:
In episode 097 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I speak with Michael Mains, M.Eng, P.Eng, PE, a young engineer who has had a tremendous amount of experience on global tunneling projects. Michael gives a global overview of underground infrastructure and provides some great insights for young civil engineers considering getting involved in this industry.
Here are some of the questions I ask Michael:
- Why should we put infrastructure underground?
- Why is underground civil engineering an interesting subset of the industry?
- What are some of the challenges of underground construction and design?
- Do you see underground infrastructure more common in the years to come?
- What are some of the of the benefits and challenges of working internationally?
Here are some key points discussed in this episode on underground infrastructure:
In episode 58 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk with Jonathon Monken, Senior Director, System Resiliency and Strategic Coordination in the ITS Division of PJM Interconnection about the resilience of electricity infrastructure systems, Black Sky events, and what civil engineers can do to help reduce risk to the electricity infrastructure systems.
Here are some of the questions I ask Jonathan:
- Can you describe for us the top three resiliency issues that our electrical infrastructure faces in the U.S. today?
- What are, if any, interdependencies with natural gas and communications in the electricity infrastructure system?
- What components of the electrical system need to be addressed first?
- Can you explain what Black Sky is?
- What are some of the mitigation steps that can be taken at the regional level to lessen the duration of outages?
- How does resilience planning different from planning for reliability and efficiency?
- What is your definition of resiliency?
- How can the industry ensure the protection of our nation’s electricity infrastructure systems from cyber-attacks, or at least give operators a chance to limit the impact from a cyber-attack?
- Are there physical barriers that can be used to improve resilience or this a cyber defense only?
- What might be the best role for civil engineers to help in resilience planning to reduce risk to the electricity infrastructure system?