In this episode, which is part of our Women in Civil Engineering series, I talk with Elia Twigg, PE, who is the local agency manager and Senior Project engineer for CONSOR Engineers about her career work in the private AND public sector, and how she had to manage more than 20 people at the age of 25 with no prior experience.
In episode 90 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk with Joseph Barker, PE, PTOE, a licensed Professional Engineer and Traffic Operations Engineer from Stantec. We discuss the topic of diversity and why firms should embrace diversity for engineers which provides inspiration and typically leads to them being happier and more productive in their careers.
Here are some of the questions I asked Joseph Barker, PE, PTOE:
- What was it like entering the Civil Engineering workforce as a gay man?
- How did hiding your being gay affect your daily mindset?
- Would you say that this experience you went through, hiding who you really are, made you stronger today?
- Tell us about the move you made to Stantec, and how that impacted your mindset and career overall?
- Have you ever thought of relocating to a geographical location that is more accepting of gay people?