Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
In episode 067 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I visit the Mount Rushmore National Memorial and will be telling you about the construction of this amazing monument, which is a massive sculpture carved into the side of a mountain in the Black Hills region of South Dakota. I will be talking to Maureen McGee-Ballinger from the National Parks Service as well as Lou Del Bianco who recently published his book: Out of Rushmore’s Shadow: The Luigi Del Bianco Story – An Italian Immigrant’s Unsung Role as Chief Carver.
Here are some of the questions I ask about the Mount Rushmore National Memorial:
- Take us back to before the monument, where did the idea come from?
- How do you budget for a project like this?
- How many workers were involved in the construction of the Mount Rushmore National Memorial and how long did it take to complete the project?
- Did the designer Borglum have any idea how long this project would take?
- Tell us about the stone itself and what they encountered while carving it?
- How were safety procedures implemented on Mount Rushmore?
- Tell us more about the actual construction of the monument?
- What did they do with all the rock that they blasted?
Here are some key points discussed in this episode:
[Read more…] about TCEP 067: The Construction of the Mount Rushmore National Memorial