In this episode, we talk to Scott J. DiFiore, P.E., P.Eng. (AB), D.GE, Principal at Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc., about the development of the new ASCE Standard for the design of foundations for buildings and other structures.
Here Are Some of the Questions We Ask Scott:
- Can you please tell our listeners a bit more about yourself, and what you do daily at Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.?
- You chair the committee for essentially all things geotech, from shallow/deep foundations and ground improvement to seismic and special inspection considerations, just to name a few. How does your involvement with these committees benefit your engineering career?
- How do you make sure you are getting all the right people to the table for this new standard?
- Do you know what the milestones are going to be and is there an anticipated release date?
- What prompted the decision to make a new standard for the design of foundations?
- Compared to ASCE7, is making the new standard a bigger job?
- How often do the 60 committee members meet?
- What is the range of experience needed for people who want to join in on making the new standard?
- Do you see other benefits of this project in terms of other civil disciplines working together in the future?
- What final advice would you like to give to geotechnical engineers out there?