Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
In this episode of The Engineering Career Coach Podcast I am going to answer career questions from our listeners asking for career advice.
Here are the summary of questions and answers we’ve discussed in this session on engineering career:
Can you point me in a direction to learn more about small niche markets in the engineering profession?
- Talk to people in those specific engineering disciplines.
- Interview people.
- Go to professional engineering association meetings to find out what they do.
Do you need to have a knowledge of finance, business and marketing?
- Yes, you need to know something about all of these things, because this is what will make you stand out because most engineers don’t.
- If you do this, you separate yourself and that is how you become a thought leader in your engineering industry.
- If you can move beyond the technical aspect of your engineering career and engage people, then you will go into the next level where a lot of engineers are not.
I am worried that if I take an engineering project coordinator job, I would not be able to transition to the design aspect of my degree at a later date, if I decide to change my mind. Please can you advise on what I should do?
- I suggest that you take the construction engineering job, because going from construction to design is always very helpful.
- Taking this job will help you to become an even better designer and make it easier to transition.
- You will not be missing opportunities, you will be building experience in the field, which is the most valuable experience you can get.
I am interested in being an applications engineer. How do I get started while I’m waiting to enter school?
- Ask someone questions in applications engineering.
- Read books about applications engineering.
- Take certificate courses that can go onto your resume.
How can I make sure that my resume reaches the engineering hiring manager without going into the black hole?
- It all comes down to who you know.
- The real question to you would be: “What have you done to put yourself in a position to get to know people and connect with people?”
- You cannot rely on a website to give you an engineering job. If that’s what you are doing, then stop and rather try to connect with people.
- Take the time to build the right relationships with the right people.
More in this episode…
In the Take Action Today segment of the show, I give you some advice on how you can get a career promotion.
“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” – Kofi Annan
Books mentioned in this episode:
The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less
Resources and links mentioned in this session include:
TECC 126: Career Advice on How to Grow My CAD Business
What is your value proposition worth?
Please leave your comments, feedback or career questions in the section below.
To your success,
Anthony Fasano, PE, LEED AP
Engineering Management Institute
Author of Engineer Your Own Success