Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
In this episode, I interview Zorya Belanger, as part of our Game Changing Career Moves series, we talk about self-improvement, and we discuss the initiatives she took with respect to skill development and the massive effect this had on her engineering career and life.
Here are some of the key points that our guest made on how self-improvement can improve your engineering career and life:
- By doing a variety of things that interests you, and learning new skill sets, different avenues will start to open for you.
- Creating a side business, reading eBooks and joining Toastmasters has helped me to learn more business skills. This has, in turn, helped my engineering career to move forward and has helped improve my financial situation both short and long term.
- Due to the skills I have developed, I was offered a new position at my engineering company which I am really enjoying doing.
- You should not only read books, you should put the information gained in these books into action as soon as you can.
- When all the different parts of your life are aligned, you will be much more successful in your career. This is known as vertical coherence.
- Trust that what you are doing is going to work out in the end. If you don’t do anything different, you will just stay where you are.
- Self-improvement is of the utmost importance if you want to succeed in your career and life.
More in this episode…
In the Take Action Today segment of the show, Zorya and I will help you to take action in your career.
About Zorya Belanger
Zorya Belanger is a professional materials engineer with 7 years of experience in failure analysis, pipeline integrity, fire investigations, and tank inspections. She graduated from the University of Alberta (located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) with a Bachelors of Science in Materials Engineering in 2009, and then completed the Management Essentials Program through U of A’s School of Business in 2014.
In 2013, Zorya began educating herself about real estate investing and created a real estate investing company with her husband (also an engineer). Currently, Zorya works at Acuren as a Sales Engineer doing business development. She uses her materials engineering expertise and business acumen to help bring in more business for the company. She bridges the gap between client needs and her company’s services.
The future depends on what you do today. – Mahatma Gandhi
Books mentioned in this session include:
|The Miracle Morning for Real Estate Agents: It’s Your Time to Rise and Shine||The 5 laws that determine all of life’s outcomes|
Resources and links mentioned in this session include:
TECC 73: Real Estate Investing 101 for Engineers – The Engineering Career Coach Podcast
Five questions that will shape your life’s story: a guide to a coherent life
This episode is brought to you by PPI, the leader of FE, PE, or SE exam preparations. Use promo code COACH for 20% discount at PPI2Pass.com/coach.
How can I take action in my career and improve myself?
We would love to hear any questions you might have or stories you might share on how self-improvement helped tto more rapidly advance your engineering career.
Please leave your comments, feedback or questions in the section below.
To your success,
Anthony Fasano, PE, LEED AP
Engineering Management Institute
Author of Engineer Your Own Success