Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
In this episode, we speak with Brian Mejeur, the founder of AdAstra and a former SpaceX engineer, who shares his insights on transitioning from engineer to entrepreneur, networking, taking risks, and building a successful team.
***You can view the video version of this episode here***
Here Are Some of the Key Points Discussed About From SpaceX Engineer to Entrepreneur: A Journey of Career Transition:
- The “New Space Industry” is seeing a surge in startups founded by ex-SpaceX engineers looking to create new industries in space. AdAstra fills the need for top talent in the industry with founders who have both technical SpaceX backgrounds and startup experience.
- Engineers possess a valuable skill set for breaking down complex problems and identifying optimal solutions for specific circumstances. However, theoretical knowledge alone is insufficient. To create something truly remarkable and profitable, practical applications are crucial. Hiring someone is not just about understanding the theory behind it, but about piecing together various elements to solve a genuine problem.
- Networking is a critical aspect of business growth. By connecting and building partnerships with the right people, you can reap mutual benefits and advance your work. Therefore, it’s very important to prioritize networking and connect with as many individuals as possible to achieve success.
- Networking involves building trust with warmth and respect, conveying the potential for mutual benefits. Start with your team and attend events/meetings outside work. Recognize the importance and take advantage of opportunities to expand your network.
- As an owner looking to expand your business, it’s vital to take a hands-on approach and immerse yourself in every aspect. Rather than hiring right away, it’s important to study industry needs, candidate and client profiles, and identify client demands firsthand. By understanding these aspects, you can deliver exceptional value and continue to learn, grow, and gain referrals. With this approach, you can expand your business and move forward successfully.
- Building a strong reputation requires putting yourself out there and taking calculated risks. By carefully considering smart risks and then proceeding with confidence once a decision is made, you can move forward without fear. It’s important to recognize the value of taking risks in building your reputation and moving toward success.
- To achieve growth, it’s necessary to develop new solutions, identify your product market fit, find your niche, and determine what you’ll deliver to meet customer needs. This translates into creating a clear product development roadmap, mapping out milestones, and identifying achievable tasks for fundraising efforts. By taking these steps, you can pave the way for growth and successfully bring your product to market.
- As a founder, it’s essential to recognize that your job is to inspire people to believe in your idea and work toward its success. However, it’s also important to acknowledge that not everyone shares the same passion as you. Grounding yourself in this reality and finding people who share the same level of dedication is essential. By doing so, you can build a team that shares your vision and is motivated to work toward achieving your goals.
More in This Episode…
In the Take Action Today segment of the show, Brian talks about taking a breath, connecting with those around you, listening, and reflecting in your next meeting.
About the Guest, Brian Mejeur
Brian Mejeur is an Aerospace Engineer with a BS & MS in aerospace from the University of Michigan (Go Blue!). After working mainly as a Propulsion Engineer at SpaceX spanning 7 years, he worked at an early-stage start-up in the Bay Area before founding AdAstra Talent Advisors where he serves as COO and CTO. Brian is enthusiastic about finding the right people for the most compelling startups who are taking on the greatest challenges society has faced.
Additionally, Brian is a father to a bold two-year-old boy, husband to an incredible wife (and his business partner!), and enjoys getting outdoors, traveling, and seeking new experiences.
About the Host, Jeff Perry, MBA
Jeff Perry is a leadership/career coach for engineers, building mindsets, leadership, and career intentions to unlock hidden potential and remove self-imposed roadblocks for career and life. For years, he has had the pleasure of supporting engineers and software pros, from new grads to director level. Having been on the front lines in the technical world, he has been able to map out the necessary skills for becoming a quality leader in the field.
You can connect with Jeff on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffcperry/ or visit his website, https://morethan-engineering.com. Jeff also has a new, FREE, on-demand training course for engineers who are job searching or in job transitions. You can see it at https://engineeringcareeraccelerator.com.
Resources and Links Mentioned in This Session Include:
Connect with Brian Mejeur on LinkedIn
Connect with AdAstra on LinkedIn
Networking for Engineers
Podcast: AdAstra Wit
We would love to hear any questions you might have or stories you might share about your experience with career transitions.
Please leave your comments, feedback, or questions in the section below.
To your success,
Jeff Perry, MBA
Host of The Engineering Career Coach Podcast