In this session of The Engineering Career Coach Podcast, my co-host Chris Knutson and I are going to talk about the importance of morning and evening rituals and even give you some insights to our own rituals, some of which are life changing.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” – Aristotle
In the Take Action Today segment of the show, we are going to give you one thing you can do to improve your morning and evening rituals.
Listen to this session to get an inside look on our own rituals and learn why positive morning and evening rituals are key to success according to a lot of successful people.
In this episode, we dive into the following points on morning and evening rituals, and also discuss our rituals in detail:
- A good positive morning ritual can start you off on a positive note and really motivate you throughout the day.
- Routines can enforce positivity in your interaction with people and greatly impact what you can accomplish.
- Routines are simply putting in place processes that ultimately affect our thoughts, which leads to changes to our feelings, beliefs, and actions that we take.
- A good evening ritual can impact the kind of sleep you get and how productive you’ll be next morning.
- A good evening meditation session can increase the quality of your sleep.
- Consider evaluating or plan out your next day’s activities or early morning tasks as part of your evening routine.
- A good quality breakfast helps fuel your body, playing a huge role in energy modulation throughout the day.
- Focus on creative and productive tasks in the morning like writing, design, etc.
- Try to implement the SAVERS (from Hal Elrod’s book The Miracle Morning) routine in the morning – Silence, Affirmation, Visualization, Exercise, Reading, and Scribing for two to ten minutes each.
- Consider working on some routine tasks, meetings, emails, or any type of activity in the afternoon that doesn’t require you to be super sharp.
Sponsor for this session:
Books mentioned in this session include:
Resources and links mentioned in this session include:
Have you tried doing a morning and evening routine?
We would love to hear any questions you might have or stories you might share about your own routines that have helped you succeed as an engineer.
Please leave your comments, feedback or questions in the section below.
To your success,
Anthony Fasano, PE, LEED AP
Engineering Management Institute
Author of Engineer Your Own Success