In this episode, I talk with Dustin Williams, CEO, and co-founder of Remote Optix, and founder of Flywheel AEC, about BIM for civil engineers and how it is used in civil engineering projects. He also tells us about a specific 4-step process his company utilizes on BIM projects to ensure project success.
TCEP-The Civil Engineering Podcast
In this episode, I talk to Keith Hall, P.E., PTOE, LEED-AP, the Principal Associate and Traffic Engineering Department Manager with Colliers Engineering & Design about how civil engineering firms can encourage and support employee career advancement at their firms.
Here Are Some of the Questions I Ask Keith:
In this episode of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk to Heidi Klein, MCE, PE, a Project Manager of Forensics at Vertex, about forensic engineering, what it is, the kind of work it includes, and the roles forensic engineers play when working on a case.
Here Are Some of the Questions I Ask Heidi:
- What is forensic engineering and when would someone contact a forensic engineer?
- What kind of evidence do forensic engineers collect?
- Do forensic engineers need to testify in court?
- What does a career in forensic engineering look like?
- How can civil engineers in the construction industry help to make investigations easier for forensic engineers?
- How do you deal with performance-based design investigations?
- What advice can you provide to engineers considering a career in forensic engineering?
Here Are Some Key Points Discussed in This Episode About Forensic Engineering:
In this episode of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk with David Skuodas, P.E., CFM, LEED AP, Director of Design, Construction, and Maintenance at the Mile High Flood District and author of the recently published book, The Effective Client: Why Being a Good Client is Smart Business in the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction Industries, about why it matters to be a good engineering client. He also explains how owners are in competition with each other for a very limited pool of capable designers and builders, and what owners can do to improve their standing with designers and builders.
Here Are Some of the Questions I Ask Dave:
In this episode, I talk to Walfrido Pevida, P.E., the Founder and Chief Engineer at Pevida Highway Designers, LLC about growing a civil engineering firm, the importance of a company’s vision and mission, and the roles people play when building a business.
Here Are Some of the Questions I Ask Walfrido:
In this episode of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk to Marc Sandhu, P.E., President of ARS Engineers, Inc. about the recent passing of his father, the founder of ARS Engineers Inc. (ARS), and how he is continuing his father’s legacy of the living the American dream. He also talks about some of the things going on in the world of civil engineering and provides some great advice on taking on leadership roles in companies, whether you are ready to, or not.
Here Are Some of the Questions I Ask Marc:
In this episode of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk with Joey C Wilson II, PE, RLS, President and CEO at Wilson & Associates about the relationship between civil engineering and surveying and discuss some of the latest surveying trends out there, like enhanced drones, LIDAR, and Visual Design Construction (VDC).
Here Are Some of the Questions I Ask Joey:
- How did you get involved in the company, and ended up where you are today?
- What is the relationship between civil engineering and surveying?
- Why is surveying so incredibly important when it comes to the inspection of high-risk areas?
- How has the drone industry helped civil engineers to complete their work more accurately?
- How important are good ground control points?
- What is VDC (visual design and construction)?
- What is LIDAR in construction?
Here Are Some Key Points Discussed in This Episode About The Latest Surveying Trends:
In this episode of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk about what a mentoring relationship should look like by providing you with seven steps that you can take to get the most out of a mentoring relationship.
Here Are Seven Steps to Get the Most Out of a Mentoring Relationship:
In this episode, I talk to Dennis D. Truax, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, D.WRE, F.NSPE, F.ASCE, the 2022 President of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), and the professor emeritus of the Richard A. Rula School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Mississippi State University about the new Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA), and how it will affect civil engineering companies in the short and long term.
Here Are Some of the Questions I Ask Dennis:
- What does the new legislation, the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, entail?
- How soon will funding be available for this legislation?
- Are civil engineering schools addressing new technologies in their curricula?
- Should companies that are interested in the projects keep in contact with their DOT?