In episode 065 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk with David Gockel, PE, PP, LEED AP, CEO of Langan Engineering & Environmental Services, about how a day in the life of a geotechnical engineering CEO looks, especially one that is in charge of a very fast-growing firm.
Here are some of the questions I ask Dave:
- What prevents engineers from learning other skill sets?
- How did you acquire the skills needed to get to where you are today?
- Tell me about a memorable success in your career.
- Tell me about one of the mistakes you’ve made and what you learned from it.
- Is it true that if civil engineers want to achieve a partner/owner status in their firms, that they must be a great business developer?
- What is one valuable piece of advice that you can give to a striving seller-doer?
- At what point in your career (if ever) did you have a goal of being the CEO?
- How would you summarize your job description as CEO?
- Would you take us through a typical day as CEO?
- What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a CEO?