In this episode, we talk to Ricky McLain, P.E., SE, who is the Senior Technical Director at Tall Wood, WoodWorks about mass timber in structural engineering — what it is, some of the common pitfalls for mass timber projects, and how structural engineers can play a significant role in setting a mass timber project up for success.
Here Are Some of the Questions We Ask Ricky in This Episode:
- What is mass timber?
- Why is mass timber suddenly so relevant to structures in the United States now?
- How can a structural engineer promote the use of mass timber to their clients?
- What are some of common pitfalls in a mass timber project?
- How can engineers determine what products each manufacturer is producing?
- How can structural engineers play a significant role in setting a mass timber project up for success?
- In what ways can an engineer use mass timber as a differentiating opportunity for their business development strategy?