In this episode, we talk to Geoff Smith, PE, LEED AP, a Senior Associate at Silman, about the process of existing buildings renovations, and how teamwork plays a major role in these types of projects.
Here Are Some of the Questions We Ask Geoff:
- What is meant by the words “existing building” and how can an existing building be sustainable?
- Retrofitting an existing building can oftentimes be more cost-effective than building a new facility. How do you determine if the investment is worthwhile?
- What is a probe campaign and how does it affect the renovation process?
- Why are reviews of existing documents important when retrofitting a building?
- What about the existing building history? Do you also have to review that?
- What were some of the pros and cons of working with government agencies?
- What makes a good collaborative team and how does it affect the projects they work on?
- When working on renovations over a long time, how do you manage and improve team dynamics?
- Do you have any career advice for structural engineers when working on building projects?