In episode 097 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I speak with Michael Mains, M.Eng, P.Eng, PE, a young engineer who has had a tremendous amount of experience on global tunneling projects. Michael gives a global overview of underground infrastructure and provides some great insights for young civil engineers considering getting involved in this industry.
Here are some of the questions I ask Michael:
- Why should we put infrastructure underground?
- Why is underground civil engineering an interesting subset of the industry?
- What are some of the challenges of underground construction and design?
- Do you see underground infrastructure more common in the years to come?
- What are some of the of the benefits and challenges of working internationally?