In this episode, we talk with Sam Rumel, P.E., P.G., a geotechnical engineer at AECOM, about tailings engineering. We explore the intricacies of this field and shed light on its challenges, innovative approaches, and future trends.
***The video version of this episode can be viewed here.***
Here Are Some of the Questions We Ask Sam:
- Can you elaborate on a challenging tailings engineering project you worked on and how your knowledge played a vital role in its success?
- What are the recurring challenges in tailings engineering, and how do you develop innovative solutions to address them?
- How can we mitigate risk in tailings engineering with limited data?
- How do you stay up to date on the latest advances in tailings engineering to tackle complex projects more effectively?
- What are the key lessons you learned from unforeseen challenges in engineering projects, and how do they inform your approach to future projects?
- How do you collaborate effectively with architects, structural engineers, and stakeholders to ensure a seamless project completion?
- How do you factor climate change into tailings engineering designs to promote sustainability?
- What cornerstones contribute to the successful execution of AECOM’s global projects, especially in diverse regions?
- What advice would you give to young professionals interested in a career in tailings management?
- What emerging trends and advances in geotechnical engineering do you believe will have a significant impact on the industry, and how are you preparing to adapt to these changes?