In this episode, Matthew Douglas and I talk about the intricate landscape of AEC PM foundational training and provide some actionable advice to both seasoned professionals and those embarking on their project management journey strategies.
***The video version of this episode can be viewed here.***
Here Are Some Key Points Discussed in This Episode About Innovative AEC PM Foundational Training for Modern Professionals:
- The Engineering Management Institute focuses on how AEC pros learn, with diverse styles like hands-on and visual. They want training that not only educates but also inspires project managers. Matt leads the Learning and Development Lab, ensuring the learning sticks through follow-up.
- At the L&D lab, they’ve found that in project management, reinforcement is crucial for effective learning. Strategies like periodic reviews, real-world applications, and mentorship significantly boost retention, ensuring concepts are never forgotten. This counters the idea that learning in project management can be a one-time deal.
- Learning in project management is a continuous journey. The Engineering Management Institute introduces PM Assist, providing custom videos to reinforce training concepts for project managers. This is a vital component of the AEC PM certification, promoting ongoing development with a behavioral assessment and regular webinars. The aim is to shift from one-off training to a mindset of lifelong learning.
- Learning in project management needs support, especially from managers. All project managers start with basics to mentor others effectively. PM Assist sends videos to both learners and managers, promoting continuous improvement. The goal is to equip every project manager for success, shaping the new AEC PM certification and PM Assist program.
- The Engineering Management Institute insists on starting everyone, even experienced PMs, with foundational programs. This ensures a common language and effective communication. Skipping these risks causing long-term problems. Even senior PMs benefit by refreshing their knowledge, emphasizing the need to start from the basics. EMI remains dedicated to transforming project management through continuous learning.
More Details in This Episode…
We would love to hear any questions you might have about our innovative AEC PM foundational training for modern professionals.
Please leave your comments, feedback, or questions in the section below.
To your success,
Matthew Douglas & Anthony Fasano, PE
Hosts of the Engineering Project Management Podcast