Here Are Some Key Points Discussed in This Episode About Quality Control for Engineering Projects:
Recap of Part One:
Gather is more than likely second nature for many experienced professionals. It is the phase that emphasizes determining the expectations for the deliverables:
- Federal, state, and local regulations
- Client expectations, preferences, and specific goals for the project
- Firm standards that all of your projects should include
- Engineering and architectural principles, standards, and ethics
Recap of Part Two: Review
- Rubber meets the road
- Technical errors
Part Three: Evaluate
- The evaluate phase is not meant to be a delay in the process but is a confirmation that the review is adequate, and that the expectations and questions are being answered. If they are not, then notes need to be made of the changes needed and submitted back to the project manager for review.
- The evaluate phase is diving deep into a consciousness of a framework that has systems and structure. This consciousness becomes more critical when working on projects with other engineers, professionals, and specialists.
- In multi-professional scenarios, like in design-build, what every professional does can affect the other parts of a project in a significant way because each professional is working to find the best solution for their part of the project. In the evaluate phase, some of the changes might be reverted because the changes throughout the project would be too significant.
More Details in This Episode…
In the Power of Experience segment, I talk about a mindset that will help you in the evaluate phase.
About Brian Wagner, P.E.
Brian Wagner, P.E., is an engineer who specializes in civil site design and plan implementation. In addition to a career spanning nearly two decades of civil engineering, he has experience in Emergency 911 Communications, law enforcement corrections, and fire/rescue services, including K9 Search and Rescue. This different and diverse range of experiences has not only prepared Brian for his career but also positioned him to be an excellent speaker with a wide range of valuable experiences. He strives to motivate others to change their world and wants to do the same for you.
We would love to hear any questions you might have or stories you can share on the evaluate phase of a project.
To your success,
Brian Wagner, P.E.
Engineering Management Institute
Host of The Engineering Quality Control Podcast