Welcome to This Week in Civil Engineering (TWiCE), the first weekly audio and video podcast covering weekly news stories and events related to civil engineering and its sub-disciplines. In this week’s episode we provide you with the latest news in the civil engineering industry including how The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) distributed $4.8B in ‘Bonus’ money to states that will be used toward road and bridge projects.
Breaking News in Civil Engineering:
- States Receive $4.8B in ‘Bonus’ Federal FY20 Highway Funds
From Tom Ichniowski |enr.com
- Panama calls for bids on $2 billion water-shortage project
From: | apnews.com
National News in Civil Engineering:
- Federal Highway Administration Announces Availability of Tribal Projects Grants
From Eleanor Lamb | ttnew.com
- MDOT research finds better alternative to steel in building bridges
From: | Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. | wlns.com
- Virus Turns Up The Virtual Volume in AEC Sector Education
From Bruce Buckley, Debra K. Rubin, and Stephanie Loder | enr.com
International News in Civil Engineering:
- YVR terminates major infrastructure project due to COVID-19
From Kirsten Clarke | richmond-news.com
- Next phase begins for record-breaking timber bridge
From: | TheConstructionIndex.co.uk
- Infrastructure Stakeholders Press Congress for Highway Law Extension
From Eugene Mulero | TTnews.com
- RIDOT pauses bridge project after a dip develops on temporary overpass
From Lynzi Deluccia | NBC10 News
Career Inspiration of the Week:
As professionals we need to remember that self-care and prioritizing mental health is important to making us better civil engineers. Don’t be afraid to take a step back, walk away, or even sleep on a challenge you can’t get to seem pass. A little bit of mental clarity always helps to see the bigger picture and find solutions!
Quote of the Week:
The purpose of life is a life of purpose. ~ Robert Byrne
Purpose is found in your daily commitment to your personal and professional life. As civil engineers our work has so much purpose and that is something all civil engineers should be proud of. So, go and be the best civil engineering professional you can be!
About the Host:
Khamini H. Fennelly is from Queens, New York. She graduated from Syracuse University’s College of Engineering in 2015 with a B.S in Civil Engineering. She is a Senior Staff Engineer at Langan in their New York City office where she primarily focuses on urban land development for large scale commercial developments. Beyond her project work, she is an office leader for the company’s Women’s Initiative. You can connect with Khamini here.
Please leave your feedback or comment about the show by clicking here.
To your success,
Anthony Fasano, P.E., LEED AP
Engineering Management Institute
Author of Engineer Your Own Success