In this episode of The Structural Engineering Podcast, we talk to David L. Pierson, PE, SE, SECB, Sr. Principal at ARW Engineers, about resilience, building codes, and free markets in structural engineering.
In this episode of The Geotechnical Engineering Podcast, I talk to Michael Wysockey, Ph.D., P.E., who is the president of Thatcher Foundations, Inc. Michael dives into some very interesting items including deep foundations, earth retention, marine construction, and safety considerations from a geotechnical specialty contractor’s perspective.
Here Are Some of the Questions We Ask Michael in This Episode:
- What do you do daily at Thatcher Foundations, Inc.?
- How did receiving the Wilson and Peck Fellowships benefit your geotechnical engineering career?
- You have many publications; can you tell us about your paper on the Accuracy of Methods Predicting Axial Capacity in Deep Foundations?
- As a geotechnical professional, where do you learn about things like building codes and union agreements?
- What kinds of techniques should young engineers be thinking about when they design something?
- How much do you get into the codes and regulations in designs?
- What have you learned from the marine projects that you have done?
- What excites you about geotechnical engineering today, and in the future?
Here Are Some of the Key Points Discussed About Deep Foundations, Earth Retention, Marine Construction, and Safety Considerations:
In episode 10 of The Structural Engineering Channel podcast, we talk to Richard C. Maloney, PE, Discipline Leader for Bridges and Structures at Maser Consulting, about the design of amusement industry roller coaster projects. Rich talks about the design of these interesting projects, and also discusses some of the roller coaster projects that he and his team at Maser Consulting have worked on which include some of the world’s tallest and fastest roller coasters and thrill rides in the world.
Here Are Some of the Questions We Ask Rich in This Episode:
- What is different about these roller coaster projects versus other structural projects, if any?
- What does the design process for roller coasters look like?
- Tell us about the process of determining and designing the load of foundations for roller coasters.
- Tell us more about The Six Flags Great Adventure Joker roller coaster.
- What type of foundations do you use for uplift loads?
- Tell us about the Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom ride?