In this episode I talk with Dana Caspersen, conflict specialist, speaker and author of the book: Changing the Conversation: the 17 Principles of Conflict Resolution. During the interview, Dana outlines very practical strategies that you can use when dealing with conflict.
One thing that is certain to happen in your engineering career is conflict. This isn’t because the engineering profession is more prone to conflict than accounting or that engineers tend to be a contentious lot. It’s because, as in any profession, you’ll find people. Wherever there are people you will find conflict. Because of this, it’s important to develop a basic understanding of the three things you need to know to engineer resolution.
How to Communicate Effectively on Civil Engineering Projects
In episode 074 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk with Steve Soldati, PE about how to communicate effectively on civil engineering projects.
Here are some of the questions I ask Steve about communicating effectively on civil engineering projects :
- Why is communication important for engineering professionals?
- What are some things you have done to improve your skills?
- Are there any tools that you use or recommend to improve/streamline communications?
- Can you give examples of positive/negative communication instances in your career?
- Talk about team communication early in project development.
- Tell us about conflict resolution within a team.
Here are some key points discussed in this episode:
Q: How can I deal with engineering clients going over my head?
Welcome to Episode #23 of Engineering Career TV. The topic for this episode is dealing with engineering clients going over your head.
I will spend most of the Engineering Career TV episodes answering questions that have been submitted from engineers around the world on how to rapidly advance their careers and live the lives they want to live.
You can submit questions for the show by clicking here.
Let’s jump into today’s topic: dealing with engineering clients going over your head, which is based on a question from Al, who asks the following: [Read more…] about Dealing with Engineering Clients Going Over Your Head – Engineering Career TV Ep. 23
In episode 026 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, Chris Knutson, PE interviews a successful attorney and mediator, Ken Strongman on the basics of mediation and dives in on a couple of items associated with preparation for mediation and what to expect during the mediation process as an engineer.
Here are some of the questions asked in this episode:
- What is mediation
- How many parties can participate in mediation
- What does the environment look like in a mediation
- Who chooses the mediator
- What are the qualities of a good mediator
Quotes to think about:
Here are some key points discussed in this episode of The Civil Engineering Podcast:
- Mediation is the process of resolving conflicts.
- Almost all professional service contracts have clauses for mediation