In this episode, we talk to Theodore (Ted) Colbert III, Executive Vice President of The Boeing Company and President and Chief Executive Officer of Boeing Global Services about diversity in engineering, how diversity can benefit an engineering firm, and how engineers can help promote diversity through mentorship. Ted also received the 2022 Black Engineer of the Year Award (BEYA), on Saturday, February 19th in Washington D.C.
diversity in engineering
In episode 123 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk with Monica Morales, PE, ENV SP who is a water engineer for Jacobs in their Los Angeles office. This is the first episode in a special series we are publishing entitled Women in Civil Engineering. In this episode, we will focus on the importance of inclusion and diversity in engineering. Monica also discusses sustainability through STEM Outreach and the importance of women in engineering.
Here Are Some of the Questions I Ask Monica:
- What does it mean to be a statistically improbable engineer, like yourself?
- Tell us more about the statistics for the United States in terms of diversity in engineering and civil engineering?
- Talk to us about the importance of inclusion and diversity?
- What can we do to help more under-served students to pursue STEM careers?
- Why do you think it is important for engineering employers to diversify their leadership?
- How do you make STEM activities fun for students?
- Tell us more about drawing girls into STEM specifically?