In this episode, we talk with Lisa Nourse, Talent Acquisition Manager; Hannah Newhard, P.E., PTOE, Traffic Engineer; Nicholas Teach, Transportation Engineer; and Curt Grass, Senior Engineer, about the impact and role of the Young Professionals Group (YPG) at Stanley Consultants, exploring its influence on the development and success of young professionals in the engineering field.
Here Are Some of the Key Points Discussed About How a Young Professionals Group Can Shape Your Engineering Future:
- Stanly Consultants is unique in recruiting with a special internship program. Each intern gets a personal mentor, plus there are lunch and learns, exposure to different managers, and final presentations to share experiences.
- The Young Professionals Group at Stanley Consultants consists of the company’s younger members, aiming to enhance retention and engagement. Focused on career development and education initiatives, the group works toward creating a better working experience for young members at Stanley.
- At Stanley Consultants, the Young Professionals Group is structured around four pillars. Development and mentoring focus on education for young professionals, covering various topics. Technology and innovation encourage innovative thinking and address company issues. Network engagement promotes social and professional connections across offices.
- Since 2018, the group has evolved positively, working with Pillars and leaders to enhance the overall experience. They revamped recruiting, engaging younger members, and redesigning career fairs. Successful initiatives formed early connections with interns, while the network engagement pillar played a key role in reconnecting people through office activities amid challenges like COVID, shaping a vibrant office culture.
- Stanly Consultants won the Campus Forward Award for the second year, recognizing their dedication to innovative talent acquisition. The award highlights their commitment to excellence, attracting diverse top-tier talent. Their focus on diversity and inclusive partnerships with universities enhances internship programs, contributing to their ongoing success.
- The mentorship program, part of the development and mentoring pillar, has proven impactful. Pairing young professionals with mentors from diverse disciplines, such as traffic engineering and environmental science, it provides valuable cross-disciplinary insights, contributing significantly to professional development.
- Nick stumbled upon the young member group during a visiting member’s office visit in 2018. Seeking career feedback and mentorship, he found it to be an ideal space for growth. Volunteering for leadership roles, Nick served as YP chair and is excited about the group’s progress and opportunities for young professionals as new leaders take over.
- Ensuring knowledge continuity is key at Stanley Consultants. The company focuses on passing on lessons to newcomers, pairing them with various professionals for a comprehensive understanding. This not only benefits new professionals but also serves as a legacy for senior engineers, creating a special relationship where both learn from each other. This commitment to knowledge transfer has contributed to Stanley’s sustainability and ongoing success for over 110 years.
- Participating in programs like these offers young engineers opportunities to lead, develop new ideas, and connect with senior leaders. It builds essential skills like communication and agenda-setting, not just benefiting the company but also making a broader impact in the community. This early involvement provides a jump-start in developing skills crucial for future leadership roles in professional organizations and other companies.
More in This Episode…
In the Take Action Today segment of the show, Lisa talks about what young professionals who are starting and developing their careers can do to boost their growth.
About the Guests:
Lisa Nourse is a dynamic and innovative Talent Acquisition Manager at Stanley Consultants, where she has been a pivotal member for over 9.5 years. Her expertise lies in transforming organizations into high-performing, collaborative teams, focused on hiring the best candidates while implementing sustainable and impactful processes.
As a strategic partner in the hiring process, Lisa advises business leaders on best practices, ensuring that recruitment strategies align seamlessly with organizational goals. She is renowned for her mentorship and coaching abilities, adept at assigning work based on availability, skills, and developmental needs. Her approach to performance assessment is both motivational and results-driven.
Lisa possesses sharp analytical and problem-solving skills, which enable her to interface closely with senior business leaders to resolve strategic issues and deliver effective talent plans. Her achievements in developing recruitment strategies are highly acclaimed, notably for attracting and retaining top talent, building high-performing teams, and fostering a culture of excellence within the organization.
Her role extends beyond traditional talent acquisition. Lisa is instrumental in incorporating business strategy for the entire enterprise, translating it into specific deliverables. These initiatives assist various markets in meeting their vision and drive organizational growth, all while fostering a culture of excellence. Lisa’s innovative approaches and procedures are key to improving business objectives and productivity, making her an invaluable asset to Stanley Consultants and a leader in her field.
Hannah Newhard, P.E., PTOE
Hannah Newhard, P.E., PTOE, is a proficient traffic engineer at Stanley Consultants, a role she has held since June 2019. Her journey in this field began as a student intern from May 2014 to May 2015, transitioning to an Engineer in Training in Traffic from May 2015 to June 2019. Hannah’s academic credentials are impressive, with a master’s degree in Civil Engineering (2015-2018) and a Bachelor of Science in Engineering, specializing in Civil Engineering (2011-2015), both from Arizona State University. Her progression from intern to a professional traffic engineer demonstrates her commitment and expertise in civil engineering.
Nicholas Teach has been a transportation engineer at Stanley Consultants since October 2022, with a BS in Civil Engineering from Florida State University. His role involves designing and managing transportation systems and infrastructure projects, contributing significantly to the field with his expertise and academic background.
Curt Grass, P.E.
Curt Grass is a senior engineer at Stanley Consultants, a position he has held since October 2023. His career in civil engineering began with an internship from March 2014 to March 2018, followed by a role as a Civil Engineering Professional from March 2018 to December 2023. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Civil and Environmental Engineering, specializing in Transportation and Highway Engineering, from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (2011-2013). Grass’ career progression showcases his dedication and expertise in the field.
About the Host, Jeff Perry, MBA
Jeff Perry is a leadership/career coach for engineers, building mindsets, leadership, and career intentions to unlock hidden potential and remove self-imposed roadblocks for career and life. For years, he has had the pleasure of supporting engineers and software pros, from new grads to director level. Having been on the front lines in the technical world, he has been able to map out the necessary skills for becoming a quality leader in the field.
You can connect with Jeff on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffcperry/ or visit his website, https://morethan-engineering.com. Jeff also has a new, FREE, on-demand training course for engineers who are job searching or in job transitions. You can see it at https://engineeringcareeraccelerator.com.
Resources and Links Mentioned in This Session Include:
Stanley Consultants Young Professionals Group (YPG)
Campus Forward Award
ITE (Institute of Transportation Engineers)
ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers)
Connect with Lisa Nourse on LinkedIn
Connect with Hannah Newhard, P.E., PTOE, on LinkedIn
Connect with Nicholas Teach on LinkedIn
Connect with Curt Grass, P.E., on LinkedIn
Connect with Kim Sager on LinkedIn
Email Kim Sager
Contact Stanley Consultants
This Episode Is Brought to You by Stanley Consultants
Improving Lives Since 1913. Stanley Consultants has been helping clients solve essential and complex energy and infrastructure challenges for over 110 years, successfully completing more than 50,000 engagements in 120 countries and all 50 states and U.S. territories. Values-based and purpose-driven, Stanley is an employee-owned company of engineers, scientists, technologists, innovators, and client-service experts who are recognized for their commitment and passion to making a difference. For more information on Stanley Consultants, please visit http://www.stanleyconsultants.com.
We would love to hear any questions you might have or stories you might share on how groups, like the Young Professionals Group, can shape your engineering future.
Please leave your comments, feedback, or questions in the section below.
To your success,
Jeff Perry, MBA
Host of The Engineering Career Coach Podcast