Image by senivpetro on Freepik
In this session of The Engineering Career Coach Podcast, I give you some strategies on productivity, focused and stress-free work-life balance.
This episode is the sixth part in the seven part series of my recently released updated and expanded edition of my book, Engineer Your Own Success.
“Efficiency is doing things right; effectiveness is doing the right things.” – Peter Drucker
In the Take Action Today segment at the end of the show, I give you a technique that will help you improve focus and get more things done.
Listen to this session and learn the three rules to time management and work-family balance:
Rule #1 – Stay organized in all of your efforts. When you are physically organized, this will have a huge impact on your mental approach throughout the day.
Strategies on how to stay organized:
- Deploy a minimalist mindset using the 80/20 Rule.
- Organize your note-taking efforts.
- Manage your contacts effectively.
- Organize your calendar and appointments.
- Make sure your desk is clean and organized.
Rule #2 – Stay focused and productive at all times. Your productivity level dictates the number of hours you have to work to meet your deadlines and eventually achieve your goals.
Strategies on how to stay focused throughout the day:
- Create consistencies through routines wherever you can in your career and life.
- Establish your most important tasks (MITs) early on.
- Complete your MITs or assign them out ASAP.
- Don’t let your email dictate your schedule.
- Implement a form of meditation.
- Put yourself in a position of focus and do it consistently.
Rule #3 – Avoid stress and worry at all cost.
Strategies on how to reduce your stress:
- Simplify or streamline your devices.
- Process your email inbox daily or weekly to zero.
- Have a to-do list.
- Keep your mind and body in shape.
- Eat and sleep well.
Is work-life balance really possible? Listen to this episode as I provide some more tips on how to achieve this.
Books mentioned in this session include:
Resources and links mentioned in this session include:
TECC 59: How Morning and Evening Rituals can Impact Your Engineering Career and Life
Engineering Career Success Summit
TECC 60: Engineering Career Success Summit 2015 Breakdown of Lessons Learned
TECC 26: A Five-Step Process for Overcoming Your Addiction to E-mail
Sponsor for this session:
What steps have you taken to avoid stress and be productive in your engineering career and life?
We would love to hear any questions you might have or stories you might share about how you have used these strategies or your own to be organized, focused and stress-free.
Please leave your comments, feedback or questions in the section below.
To your success,
Anthony Fasano, PE, LEED AP
Engineering Management Institute
Author of Engineer Your Own Success