In this episode, you are going to listen in on a conversation between me and Joshua Plenert, MBA, MS, PE a licensed professional engineer who’s an expert in applying Lean and Six-Sigma concepts to the architectural, engineering and construction industry. As a structural engineer practitioner himself, he’s not only theorizing about what he talks and writes about – he’s putting it to practice in his work, which you will learn more about in this episode.
In episode 019 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, Mickey Addison, a career military officer, author, civil engineer and senior leader, teaches us what it takes to lead in a senior level position, how to handle organizational changes, and the role of mentoring and coaching in civil engineering leaders.
Here are some key points:
- On time management:
- Block time off to allow yourself to get off the desk
- Be present to the people around you
- Take personnel actions (things that affect one’s career)
- The more energy that you put in to being present to the people that you lead and work with, the higher performing team it becomes.
- When the leaders are engaged, the people are engaged.