Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
In episode 125 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, which is our second episode in our Women in Civil Engineering series, I will be talking to Mary Lang, P.E., P.P., LEED GA, who is a principal at Yu & Associates. Mary will discuss design build and what civil engineers should know about this delivery process, which while it has been around for a while, continues to become more and more popular.
Here Are Some of the Questions I Ask Mary:
- What advice can you give some of the younger female engineers out there?
- Tell us about the time you took a break in your career to raise your children?
- What is Design Build?
- What are the benefits and risks of using this delivery process from the engineer’s perspective?
- Do you see Design Build becoming more popular moving forward?
Here Are Some Key Points Discussed in This Episode About Design Build:
- I would advise all young engineers to always look for opportunities and for ways on how you can become a better engineer.
- One of the best ways to understand your industry is to get involved in professional associations. This is not only a great way to network, but also to build your skills as an engineer.
- Being able to get out there and see what other people are doing in your field is such a great learning experience. It validates where you are working and what you are doing well and helps you to understand what else is out there.
- I found that the best engineers are the ones that do things beyond the engineering day-to-day work.
- There is a need to deliver projects faster, cheaper and with the least amount of disruption to the public. In doing so, the world of design and construction is becoming MUCH more complex. Design build is a potential alternate to deliver these services.
- Design build is a process in which a builder or constructor teams up with a private designer to work in unison to prepare a proposal to an owner, and if selected design and build that project. As an engineer, understanding how a contractor manages a project allows you to not only find the best way to the end result, but to also find the most economical way.
- There needs to be a body of trust in any design build. If you can sit at the table and work collaboratively together there will always be ways to find solutions.
- Design Build contracts are only just beginning to become the contract of the day. Not all projects are suited for design build but there are projects out there that are complex in nature and that need a collaborative design.
More details in this episode…
About Mary C. Lang, P.E., P.P., LEED, GA
Mary C. Lang, P.E., P.P., LEED, GA has over 30 years of diverse, increasingly responsible, multi-disciplinary experience and leadership providing civil engineering expertise in master planning, land use studies, site engineering, storm water management design, regulatory permitting and construction of complex infrastructure and building projects throughout the northeast. Lang provides expertise in management of alternative delivery projects including Design-Build and Public and Private Partnerships for facility projects. She has managed projects from $20,000 to $3,000,000,000 many of which have received the ACEC Engineering Excellence Award.
Lang is the recipient of the Outstanding Women of Achievement Award in 2000 by the New Jersey State General Assembly; Young Engineer of the Year by the American Society of Civil Engineers, NJ Branch 1998 and served on the National Board of Direction of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
Books Mentioned in this Episode
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk
Engineering Management Accelerator Workshop (Online) | 5 PDHs
Engineering Management Institute Professional Membership
Upcoming EMI Webinar
Mary Lang’s LinkedIn Profile
Yu & Associates
2020 AEC HR Summit Registration
EMI’s YouTube Channel
This episode is brought to you by Maser Consulting P.A., a privately owned, multi-discipline, consulting and engineering design firm with a unique balance of public and private sector experience. Established in 1984 by Richard M. Maser, PE, PP, CME, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, the firm has an expert staff of licensed engineers, planners, surveyors, landscape architects, and environmental scientists with offices strategically located nationwide. Click here to learn more about Maser Consulting P.A. today.
This episode is also brought to you by The Employee Engagement Group. The Employee Engagement Group will help you shift the dial from potential to performance by engaging both the minds and hearts of your employees. They will help engage your leadership team, your employees, even your clients. This group will also help you ignite the ingenuity of your workforce by unlocking doors to untapped creativity and real innovation, to mutual accountability and measurable results. Click here to learn more about The Employee Engagement Group.
If you are interested in taking our FREE CMAP Diagnostic Case Study, please email Betty at >> [email protected]
Please leave your comments or questions in the section below on the design build project delivery process.
To your success,
Anthony Fasano, PE, LEED AP
Engineering Management Institute
Author of Engineer Your Own Success