In this episode of The Geotechnical Engineering Podcast, we talk to Dr. Kancheepuram N. Gunalan (Guna), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) 2020 National President and Senior Vice President at AECOM about his career in the geotechnical field, his time as ASCE president, and why he thinks geotechnical engineering is critical to the future of the built world.
In episode 065 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk with David Gockel, PE, PP, LEED AP, CEO of Langan Engineering & Environmental Services, about how a day in the life of a geotechnical engineering CEO looks, especially one that is in charge of a very fast-growing firm.
Here are some of the questions I ask Dave:
- What prevents engineers from learning other skill sets?
- How did you acquire the skills needed to get to where you are today?
- Tell me about a memorable success in your career.
- Tell me about one of the mistakes you’ve made and what you learned from it.
- Is it true that if civil engineers want to achieve a partner/owner status in their firms, that they must be a great business developer?
- What is one valuable piece of advice that you can give to a striving seller-doer?
- At what point in your career (if ever) did you have a goal of being the CEO?
- How would you summarize your job description as CEO?
- Would you take us through a typical day as CEO?
- What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a CEO?