In this episode, I talk with Kimberly Bauer Burke, vice president at Skanska and a leader in the AEC industry, about her experiences as a business development and sales professional, which include discussing strategies for market penetration, customer relationship management, and more. We also dive into her perspective as a woman in the construction industry and share her thoughts on attracting and retaining women in leadership positions. Whether you’re starting your career or looking to take your business development and sales skills to the next level, this episode is full of valuable insights and advice.
Here Are Some of the Questions I Ask Kimberly:
- Is finding a skilled mentor to guide you in your business development journey after identifying your interests a great career approach?
- What skills and strategies do you use to enter new markets, secure business, and excel in your job?
- How do you actively integrate current knowledge into your sales and business development strategies to ensure their effectiveness?
- Could you elaborate on the obstacles you’ve encountered as a woman in the construction field and share your strategies for overcoming them?
- How do you tackle the industry issue of translating big ideas into practical implementation, ensuring they become tangible realities rather than remaining abstract concepts?
- What measures do you believe the AEC industry can take to enhance the recruitment and retention of women in leadership roles, specifically within sales and business development?
- What advice do you have for people moving from technical roles to business development who want to improve their relationship-building skills?