In episode 079 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I will give my opinion on why I don’t believe it’s a bad thing to work for same civil engineering company for a long time, possibly even your entire career. I constantly hear people say that you have to make a move from one company to the next in order to really advance your career, which I don’t agree with.
In episode 077 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk with Christian Knutson, P.E., PMP, who has hosted several episodes of this podcast. Chris provided a framework that he has used to make many career transitions, and also talked about building the confidence needed to make engineering career transitions.
Here are some of the questions I ask Chris on career transitions:
- Tell us about some of the career transitions you had to deal with?
- What are some of the skills and strategic approaches one should take when transitioning in their career?
- How can engineers build their confidence and adopt a mindset towards taking risks in their careers?
- Tell us about the planning and preparation you did when you transitioned in your career?
Here are some key points discussed in this episode:
In episode 025 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I interview the resume expert Richard Poulin, who has studied over hundreds of civil engineering resumes, and wrote the book Civil Engineer Resume Hacking. This episode is packed with insider tips on how you can make your civil engineering resume stand out and be successful in your interview.
Here are some of the questions I ask Richard:
- Big picture of addressing the civil engineering job search
- How to make a civil engineering resume stand out
- How long does recruiters spend on a resume
- How can I optimize my civil engineering resume to deal with automated screening
- Is a cover letter necessary
- How can I use LinkedIn while employed to network and build personal brand
- Tips for successful job interviews