The Involvement of Civil Engineers in Legislation
In episode 069 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I talk with Daniel Loscalzo, PE, LEED AP, a young civil engineer about the involvement of civil engineers in legislation. Civil engineers in legislation is something we hear about much more often these days, which is a very good thing.
Here are some of the questions I ask:
- What has been the historical role of civil engineers in legislation?
- What programs are available to for civil engineers to stay in touch with politicians?
- Are there other programs like ASCE’s key contact program that are representing engineers in political discussion?
- Why is it so important to have discussions with politicians?
- What are some things that you have learned from conversing with politicians?
- What would your advice be for engineers who would like to become more involved in politics? Do you have to specifically be part of a specific party to make an impact on the political conversation?
- Do you feel that there is an ethical element to engineers working in politics?