Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
In this session of The Engineering Career Coach Podcast, I am going to discuss the process of seeking your dream engineering job, a topic I am very passionate about. My philosophy has always been – why have a career if it is not enjoyable every day?
Finding your passion and pursuing it in your engineering career is the key to having a successful and enjoyable engineering career.
“The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you will know when you find it.” – Steve Jobs
During the show, I will help a young engineer get on the path to his dream engineering job. Our guest for session 2 is David from Florida, a 23-year-old mechanical/aerospace engineer.
Listen to this session and learn:
- What steps you should take to find the engineering job that you most desire.
- How to gain technical experience in your engineering career when your current role is not providing you with enough.
- Steps you can take to get a different job/role within the same engineering company, including how to approach your engineering supervisor about a change.
- How to pursue an engineering job that requires experience that you don’t have.
- The answer to the question, “Is it better to stay at a very enjoyable job where I am not getting the experience I need to achieve my goals, or to take a job where I am getting the experience I need to achieve my goals but the atmosphere of the company is not great?”
- How much hard work can make up for a lack of technical knowledge in your engineering career.
- How to give yourself an edge over other engineers in the industry by leaning on your past experience.
- To ask yourself a very important question that will change your engineering career and life.
Resources and links mentioned in this session include:
List of Top Three Engineering Career Resources
Institute for Engineering Career Development
Click Here for Session #2 Transcription
Help out the show!
Lastly, please, if you haven’t done so already I would really appreciate if you took a minute to leave a quick rating and honest review of the podcast on iTunes by clicking on the link below. It would be extremely helpful for the show, and I’m aiming for one hundred five-star ratings over the next 12 months.
Click here to leave an honest review of the podcast on iTunes.
Thank you for listening, and I hope you enjoyed this session! Please let me know what you think in the comments section below.
To your success,
Anthony Fasano, PE, LEED AP
Engineering Management Institute
Author of Engineer Your Own Success