In this episode, we talk to Dr. Badri Hiriyur, Ph.D., Vice President and Director of Artificial Intelligence at Thornton Tomasetti (TT) about the applications of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning in the AEC industry and how it may affect your design and forensic processes as an engineer.
This is a guest blog by Jim Hughes
AI engineering is a relatively new field that is becoming more and more important in various industries, especially in the industrial and manufacturing contexts. It has even found its way into the stock market. Some of the most interesting and meaningful applications of AI are in the field of engineering and that is why more and more people are becoming AI Engineers.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Engineering
In episode 124 of The Civil Engineering Podcast, I will be taking you with me to Philadelphia where we will be visiting the offices of Pennoni to talk to Joseph Viscuso, PE, PLS, ENV SP who serves as Pennoni’s Senior Vice President and Director of Strategic Growth. We will be talking about smart cities and specifically about understanding how important it is to embrace technology and to be innovative in your career. Viscuso also elaborates on the next wave of technology which is heavily reliant on the 5G network and also the threats that cyber security has on smart cities. You can also view this episode on YouTube. You don’t want to miss this one!
Here Are Some of the Questions I Ask Joe:
- I know that you spend a lot of your time traveling to different cities and venues to discuss innovation and technology—why do you think that is important for the future of firms like Pennoni?
- How do you see innovation/technology changing the everyday landscape in the engineering profession?
- If I gave you a crystal ball, what would you see about the future of smart cities?
- If I gave you a magic wand, how would you use it to increase smart city momentum?
- We have heard a lot about cyber security threats – how can this impact smart cities?
- What are some of the challenges for cities to adopt smart technologies?
- What can residents do to move the conversation further on smart city solutions?